Los Angeles County is where quality of life meets Life Science. Built on the bedrock of a globally respected university system that delivers thousands of bioscience grads each year, the L.A. region is positioned for healthy growth in this fast-moving industry.
The LAEDC Bioscience Council is a network of leaders from the region’s Biopharmaceutical and Medical Device industry clusters (taken together, “Bioscience”) dedicated to creating a vibrant life sciences ecosystem, from basic research to product commercialization, with an emphasis on cultivating, recruiting, and retaining the industry-specific workforce in the region. LAEDC is fostering growth of the businesses and the jobs in this growing industry cluster.
- Identify key regional bio-related productive advantages and gaps, with specific focus on the labor input at all phases along the product development cycle.
- Based on the prioritization of findings under number 1, activate industry capacity building recommendations identified in the bioscience implementation plan commissioned by the County of Los Angeles.
- Develop and execute cost-effective strategies to promote the region to foreign and domestic bioscience researchers, entrepreneurs, capital providers, buy- and sell-side analysts, and firm and other industry location decision makers
- Connect industry firms with talent development institutions to ensure meaningful firm participation in the development of industry-driven career education, Associate and Bachelor’s degree, and other workforce training programs and curricula.
- Advocate for public policies, incentives, procurement opportunities, regulations and laws at the local, state and federal levels that support and strengthen the LA Basin’s bioscience ecosystem and industry.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Expanding opportunity for people of color and underrepresented communities in Los Angeles’s well-paying industries is a major focus for LAEDC. In the context of bioscience we work with industry leaders and colleges & universities to create curriculum to develop a robust workforce.
Sign up with your email so you don’t miss opportunities
"*" indicates required fields
What’s New In Bioscience
Bioscience industry activity in LA County is increasing: State of the Industry event explores workforce
Bioscience activity in LA County is up, with more jobs, more investment, more incubators and infrastructure, and new resources to aid collaboration...
Biocom’s 2020 Economic Impact Report highlights the growth of lifesciences industry in CA
LAEDC partner Biocom, an organization dedicated to assisting business growth and hiring in the region’s lifesciences/biosciences industry has published a new report on the increasing size of the industry in … Continued...
Grifols Collaboration with US Government to Produce the First Treatment Specifically Targeting COVID-19
Lifescience company Grifols, with significant operations in LA, is pivoting to serve immediate health needs during the pandemic, using its advanced blood plasma processing operations to advance COVID-19 medical science … Continued...
Bioscience hubs in LA County visualized in new datsheets
LAEDC has published several new snapshots of geographic hubs in the bioscience industry of LA County, to help illuminate total number of jobs, occupations, wages, and activity in these regions. … Continued...
LAEDC celebrates new funding for bioscience apprenticeships and pre-apprenticeships
U.S. Department of Labor has awarded a $12 million grant to West Los Angeles College/South Bay Workforce Investment Board (SBWIB) collaborative that will be part of a national effort under … Continued...
CA Investment Guide describes LA’s thriving industries and talent
Site Selection Magazine has published an update to the California Investment Guide, which provides a great overview of major industries creating opportunity in LA and the broader state. Industry profiles … Continued...
Los Angeles is rising as a focal point for the state’s bioscience industry according to recent report from Biocom
According to a recently completed study by Biocom on “The Impact of Life Science in California,” Los Angeles is emerging as the state’s next bioscience hub, adding jobs over recent … Continued...
LAEDC continues to support living-wage jobs in bioscience via support for Overlay Zones
LAEDC continues to take action to support growth of living-wage jobs in the promising bioscience industry in LA, and on April 30th, LAEDC provided public testimony in favor of Bioscience … Continued...
Community college system, students and businesses benefiting from CCW partnership
LAEDC has published a playbook for industry-education partnerships, in the form of a Project Update about the work of Center for a Competitive Workforce (CCW). The Update, available HERE, describes … Continued...
Big Takeaways From Recent Bioscience Workforce Development Council Meeting
(Los Angeles, CA) On March 22nd, 2019 the LAEDC and the Center for Competitive Workforce (CCW) co-hosted the Bioscience Workforce Council Meeting at the LARTA Institute, in Downtown Los Angeles. … Continued...