LAEDC has published its 2020 Economic Forecast, which was presented February 19th, 2020. The report, while generally optimistic about continued modest growth and employment gains, also explored major challenges in our regional economy; the biggest issue being that not enough people are sharing in economic success in the region.
The event theme was Expanding the LA Dream to More Communities and Residents. Headline economic numbers are up, but a deeper look reveals mounting challenges faced by an increasing number of Los Angeles residents.
Speakers included: Noor Menal, President and CEO of CTBC Bank; Chris Slevin, VP of Economic Innovation Group; Alexander Casey, Senior Policy Advisor at Zillow; Shannon Sedgwick, LAEDC’s Director of the Institute for Applied Economics; Bill Allen, CEO of LAEDC; Stephen Cheung, EVP of LAEDC; and moderated by Frank Mottek, radio host at KNX 1070 Newsradio.
View slides from the event:
- LA County and SoCal Forecast: Shannon Sedgwick, LAEDC
- Opportunity Zone Insights and Outlook: Chris Slevin, VP of Economic Innovation Group (EIG)
- Housing in LA, Trends and the Affordability Crisis: Alexander Casey, Sr Policy Advisor, Zillow
- Overview of Positive Momentum of LA County’s Economy: BIll Allen, CEO of LAEDC
- International issues and LA County – Corona Virus and Trade Wars: Stephen Cheung, EVP of LAEDC
Slower Economic Growth seen for California, L.A.
The Los Angeles Times
Housing costs, migration expected to crimp Southern California’s economy
San Gabriel Valley Tribune (and 11 sister newspapers in SoCal News Group)
Forecast Sees Modest Growth in County’s Economy
Los Angeles Business Journal
KNX Radio coverage of LAEDC Economic Forecast: Mottek on Money radio show
KNX Newsradio 1070
Thanks to all LAEDC’s sponsors who made the Economic Forecast event possible!
CTBC Bank – Citi – USC – Rio Hondo College – LADWP – Pasadena City College – US Bank