LAEDC Success Story
CFR Rinkens in Paramount
provides global door-to-door shipping solutions for any cargo. They are known for their expertise in classic car and new vehicle transportation, and have vast experience in commercial freight and oversize cargo. The main operation is in the City of Paramount with locations and warehouse operations in Northern California and Miami, and in Europe. The company has over 70 local employees and over 140 employees company-wide.
Like other firms in the logistics and transportation industry, the company was facing significant cost increases and looking for solutions to address critical challenges. A priority was identifying options over renewing the lease at the Paramount site or move out of the area. If a major move was on plan, then firm would need to allow adequate time and resources to run parallel operations. If the lease would not be renewed, the local operation was at risk. The company’s management was interested in a wide range of resources including access to capital, permitting, insurance, labor supply and employee training.
The LAEDC BAP team and Barbara Levine, Senior District Manager, provided integral assistance and direct referrals:
- LAEDC introduction and connection to resources; reviewed 2017 business programs and incentives, conducted a needs assessment and developed an action plan based on company’s directives
- Rate review and Energy Efficiency services by Southern California Edison
- Introduced no cost services offered by local America’s Job Center of California and presented employee training options and workforce programs
- Introduced insurance broker to review risk management program including Workers Comp, Property Casualty, etc.
- Introduced LA County Community Development Commission programs, as well as local bankers
The resources and referrals introduced by the LAEDC and partner organizations provided the company valuable information they otherwise did not have. The newfound awareness of programs, services and ability to connect with local entities served the company well and was part of executive management’s decision to renew the Paramount property’s lease. As a result, over 70 jobs were saved.
“Barbara was very proactive in providing helpful connections.”
Dave Calvert, Controller, CFR Rinkens LLC