Huge news for the local economy — we have been successful in securing a federal designation for Southern California as a “Manufacturing Community”
Announced today, May 28, 2014, this federal designation secures preferential access to $1.3 billion in federal funding that is to be awarded to grants or contracts, including but not limited to workforce development, economic development, and infrastructure projects. LAEDC was part of the broad coalition that comprised the application team, and this announcement is a great example of the Southern California community coming together, with representation from the Counties of Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Ventura all critical to securing the designation. The LAEDC will play a significant role in implementation via the LA Jobs Defense Council, and LAEDC has a seat on the executive board of the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership of Southern California, which administers the “manufacturing community” designation.
The LAEDC wishes to thank the co-leaders on the application, USC and City of Los Angeles, with special acknowledgement to the leadership of City of LA Mayor Garcetti.
Here is a link to the press release from the U.S. Secretary of Commerce: http://www.eda.gov/news/press-releases/2014/05/28/imcp.htm
Here is the full list of geographies that have received the manufacturing community designation today.
- The Northwest Georgia Regional Commission (Dalton, Georgia)
- Wichita State University (Wichita, Kansas)
- Cook County Bureau of Economic Development (Chicago, Illinois)
- University of Tennessee (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- University of South Alabama (Mobile, Alabama)
- City of Rochester (Rochester, New York)
- Puget Sound Regional Council (Seattle, Washington)
- University of Southern California Center for Economic Development (Los Angeles, California)
- Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Wayne County Economic Development Growth Engine (Detroit, Michigan)
- Southwestern Ohio Aerospace Region (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Great Portland Council of Governments (Portland, Maine)
Details to follow!