Since 1997, Long Beach City College’s Advanced Transportation Technology & Energy Center (ATTE) has provided an array of advanced transportation and energy related technical education, assistance, and outreach programs throughout California, and the U.S. The Center maintains a focus on innovations and advancements in alternative fuels such as Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), and Propane, and serves as a leader in professional training for the maintenance and use of these technologies, particularly in the deployment and service of heavy-duty vehicles. The Center also provides a full menu of professional training in electric and hybrid vehicles.
ATTE Educational & Training Programs
The ATTE center offers foundational courses in alternative fuel technologies for both new students and career service technicians. Certifications in Electric Vehicle Technician and Alternative Fuels Technician, both aimed at servicing the light/medium and heavy-duty vehicle industries are also offered. The training is hands-on and covers compressed natural gas safety and fuel system inspection, specialized engine and fuel system on the Westport ISX LNG and the Cummins ISL CNG platforms, and introductory training on light/medium-duty hybrid electric vehicles.
The Electric, Hybrid, & Fuel Cell Program
Long Beach City College’s Electric, Hybrid & Fuel Cell Program prepares students for an entry-level position as a light/medium and heavy-duty engine service technician for electric and renewable energy vehicles such as cars, busses, and trucks. Students learn how to service and repair electric vehicle powertrains, with an emphasis on diagnostic and repair techniques using the vehicle’s Electronic Engine Management System. Courses include:
- AMECH 480 Introduction to Electric Vehicles
- Provides an overview of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV), Plug-In Electric Vehicles (PEV), and Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV).
- AMECH 481 Advanced Electric Vehicles
- Provides an emphasis on EV design, construction, and advanced propulsion systems.
- AMECH 483 Advanced Hybrid Electric Vehicle Diagnosis & Repair
- Provides an advanced look at HEV propulsion systems with an emphasis on diagnosis and repair.
The Alternative Gaseous Fuels Program
Long Beach City College’s Alternative Gaseous Fuels Program prepares students for an entry-level position as a light/medium and heavy-duty engine service technician for gaseous-fueled vehicles such as cars, buses and trucks. Students learn how to service and repair gaseous fuel systems, including natural gas, propane, and fuel cell technologies, and prepares them for the ASE F1 Alternative Fuel Certification exam. Diagnosis and repair techniques are emphasized using the vehicle’s Electronic Engine Management System. Courses include:
- AMECH 490 Introduction to Alternative Fuels
- Provides an introduction to light and heavy-duty alternative fuel vehicles.
- AMECH 491 Heavy-Duty Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Provides a detailed look at the use of alternative fuels, systems, and technologies that power heavy-duty vehicles.
- AMECH 492 Heavy-Duty Alternative Fuel Vehicle Diagnosis & Repair
- Provides a detailed look at the natural gas (CNG/LNG) fuel systems in heavy-duty engine design, with an emphasis on diagnosis and repair.
- AMECH 493 Alternative Fuel Conversion, Diagnosis, & Repair
- Provides an advanced look at the conversion of gasoline and diesel burning engines over to a natural gas fuel system, with an emphasis on diagnosis and repair.
Continuing Education for Industry Professionals
The ATTE Center provides professional development training for over 300 service technicians each year from employers like the Los Angeles DWP, MTA, Long Beach Transit, MV Transportation, Ryder Trucks, UPS, Caterpiller, Freightliner, Kenworth, and most of Southern California’s municipal fleets, transits, and waste management services. Training courses are delivered in short intense formats for individuals to advance in their skills and competencies in alternative and renewable fuel vehicle technologies. These courses lead to industry recognized and stackable certifications for service technicians who are already proficient in basic engine maintenance and repair. Courses include:
- CNG Cylinder Safety Inspection
- This course trains technicians the safe and proper procedures for performing visual inspection of high-pressure CNG cylinders and fuel systems components, and prepares them for the CSA Fuel System Inspector Certification exam. Expanded and updated for 2013, this course offers the highest level of certification in the inspection of containers, valves, pressure reduction devices, pressure vent systems, and other fuel system components of CNG powered vehicles.
- Cummins ISL-G Diagnosis & Repair, Level 1
- This course provides a comprehensive review of inputs, actuators, and processing of the Cummins ISL-G compressed natural gas Electronic Engine Management System, including manual testing and physical location of components on the engine. This course prepares technicians to take INSITE for CNG/LNG Systems.
- Cummins INSITE for CNG/LNG Systems
- This course explores the operation and diagnosis of CNG/LNG fuel systems through the use of the INSITE OEM diagnostic software for the Cummins Electronic Engine Management System. This course covers the use of various INSITE user screens to properly communicate with and diagnosis natural gas fuel system faults identified by the EEMS interface, and offers technicians a systematic approach to fault diagnosis. This course prepares students to take ISL-G Diagnosis & Repair, Level 2
- Cummins ISL-G Diagnosis & Repair, Level 2
- This course provides service technicians with hands-on diagnostic procedures and techniques for fault detection and repair of inputs, actuators, and processing of the Cummins ISL-G compressed natural gas Electronic Engine Management System, using the OEM INSITE software diagnostic tool.
- Westport-Kenworth GX and LNG System Training
- This highly interactive course instructs technicians and fuel handlers on the safe handling, fueling, and operating practices for heavy-duty liquefied natural gas (LNG vehicles, including the safety features of LNG fuel storage and delivery systems. Fuel system diagnostic and repair techniques are covered using the Electronic Engine Management System that governs PACCAR Cummins 15L ISX-G engine.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Diagnosis & Repair
- This course provides technicians with an overview of Hybrid Electric Vehicle systems and technologies, including basic theory of operation, battery/relay pack diagnostics and repair, transaxle assembly, overhaul, and inspection, and techniques for performing engine system diagnostics using the Techstream/Mongoose scan tool.
For more information regarding current offerings at Long Beach City College in Advanced Transportation/ Alternative and Renewable Fuel Technologies, contact Long Beach City College at 562-938-5051 or [email protected], or go here.
See data for enrollment and success rates in Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall semesters in 2012 in Long Beach City College’s Alternative Fuels and Advanced Transportation Technology Program.